CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday 4 November 2008

Week of October 27- November 2 Entry #8

This week, my book ended. I have read the last three chapters of this book. The story basically continued on without nothing serious happening. Tom just hide in the woods avoiding the police because he has killed two people. When Tom's mom comes Tom, Tom says that he will follow Casy and live as a great soul. That is basically how the story ends. There is a short incident at the last chapter about the father of a boy being milked by Rose of Sharon. That was somewhat a shocking scene as well as being desperate and sad.
Overall, this book wasn't the best book in my life. The plot was not dynamic, but just calm and basically flowed like a small stream, making it too boring for me. Yet, I liked how Steinbeck portrayed the miserable lives of the tenant farmers of the late colonial periods. My big question for this book is "What is the theme of this story?" I think this story can be interpreted in many ways, but what I think is that human are greedy and cruel in nature, so that we make each other suffer. That is what the large landowners showed in the story. Now I have finished my book, I need to find my next book, but I don't think I will be looking for another classic for quite a while. I have found that classic doesn't fit me the best. Still, The Grapes of Wrath was a good book and I think it deserves to be such a famous (notorious) book.

0 comments: