CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 26 October 2008

Week of October 20-26 Entry #7

This week, I have read chapters 25 through 27. In this section, the reason why this book is titled Grapes of Wrath comes out. In chapter 25, we see how large farmers harass the tenant farmers by monopolizing the industry. Hence, small farmers' debts increase. The book says that "the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy." In the next chapter, Casy gets killed by a police, just for being accused as a communist. Tom takes revenge by killing the murderer police, but he gets hit too. After killing the police, Tom also runs away. Chapter 27 is about the tenant farmers and people who are looking for jobs. They are poorly treated with extremely low wages.
Now, the story is coming to an end and seems to reach some climax. Poor people are still being ripped off and now Casy has died. I start to kind of get the theme of this story in which poor people had harsh conditions in the colonial times. Again, if I was to live in this kind of condition, I would hate it. Also, I have thought that if I was one of the huge farmers who were monopolizing the market, I wouldn't do that. The acts of these people seem so inhumane and cruel. I would at least give some space for the small farmers to join in the market so that they don't starve.

0 comments: