CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 5 October 2008

Week of September 29 - October 5 Entry #4

This week, I read 6 chapters, 12 through 17, of the book The Grapes of Wrath. This part of the book describes the journies of the tenant farmers. Eventually, all the farmers suffer under harsh conditions and cheatings of greedy salesmen. In the story, the tenant farmers who are moving are ripped off by car salesmen. Those salesmen change the parts of cars into cheaper, older ones. Later on, when the farmers move, those cars stop and farmers suffer finding replacements from nearby towns.
This book felt new to me because overall, I have never read a book like this. Before, I have always read si-fi and never experienced classic books like this one. So, I can't get used to the literary style of The Grapes of Wrath. The way Steinbeck descriptions of scenes sound different from fictions. Steinbeck seems to portray it so that the readers can actually draw the scene in their heads. This sounds great, but this makes the book somewhat boring. Also, the atmosphere feels exotic from what I have read and experienced. The overall mood of this book is so depressing I can't hold this book long. I think that is one of the reasons why I feel this book is so hard to read, but I think this is worth the effort. Another thing I felt about this book is that this book sounds too much like a story. Other books that I have read before seems to have a clear plot line around the main character with limited characters and conflicts, but The Grapes of Wrath just merely sounds like a "story" that just flows regardless of what the characters do. I am not sure how it will change later on, but until now, this book just sounds like a story to me. I wonder what will happen to the miserable farmers in this story.

0 comments: