CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 7 March 2008

Entry #1


Q. What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

A. I think the climax of this novel is the part where two spade aces come out at the same time when the six human and six pigs play poker. I consider this as the climax because it directly and obviously shows what the author is ultimately trying to say: The inefficiency of communism and corruption of its leaders. From the author’s point of view, meeting and playing poker is making “friendship” with other nations. However, when they play poker, two spade aces come out at the same time, which is impossible. This means that the leaders were cheating in the game in the same way. Then, the leaders start fighting with each other, and they all get mixed up. I think this is a satire of communism that the leaders will start with an ideal ideology, but they all become corrupt at the end, and only seek for their wealth.
Frankly, as I read this part of the novel, I found it both bitter and funny. First, I felt bitter because I expected a happy ending in this story, but it didn’t. This part is when the utopia of this story suddenly becomes a dystopia. I also realized that just finding the truth may turn the world into a dystopia, and sometimes, it would be better to not know the truth, because when people’s belief gets shattered, they all may panic.
While reading this part, I also found this part funny, because this part told me that “Ideas are just ideas and dreams are just dreams. Truth is different from it.” This part wasn’t really funny, but it made me despondent. I think the ending of this novel is written well, but I felt sort of ashamed because it just showed that the animal farm was nothing, but just a stupid dream. I wished everything to turn out well, because I was somewhat counting on it.

3 comments:

sharon kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hnas565 said...

Your explanation to support the position of your climax is very-well written. However, I disagree with the fact that you state that the climax is when the two space ace and the pigs and humans play poker. Even though that tells us that we only seek for wealth, thus nothing but corruption happens in us, we cannot say that that is the point-of-no-return. I think that somehow that might look like the climax, but actually if you see it differently, i think its more of a resolution.
The climax that i chose is completely different than your climax. I said that the climax was when Napoleon overthrew Snowball. This is the point of no return, because once Napoleon was chosen, there is completely nothing can reverse that back. I have more arguments to support my opinion. I thought the climax had a major shift, as we saw two different characters (personality, traits, etc) and one has been abolished completely.

Anyways, nice,written-well response!

Strike Freedom said...

I posted my climax as the part when Boxer gets sold by the horse slaughterer. However, I changed my mind about the climax and agree about the spade ace part as the climax of the story. Because that is one of the true point-of-no-return, referred to hnas565 it could be true that the part when snowball overthrown is the climax of the story but that part has possibility of snowball returning with new revolution for new vengeance. Since the last part shows not only communism but truth of all ideologic revolutions based on few group of leader and their mutilated ideals, and the fact of showing it as one of the ultimate 'truth' makes it the thesis statement of this whole novel (which makes it a climax since its the part where it shows the highly contrasted conflict of all events throughout the story. We should remember that a climax of a story is not only the part where it is a point-of-no-return but also a part when the conflict of the whole novel is contrasted into maximum pressure)