CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 7 March 2008

Entry #2


Q. What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in any way? Why?



A. I don’t think this novel has a specific overall mood. The mood of this novel changes over time. It is like a decrescendo in music, which means become gradually smaller. At the beginning, the animals have no doubt in their new idea and their farm. Thus, they show great enthusiasm in their actions, and consequently, the mood is very bright. However, starting from where snowball is banned and Napoleon started to trick other animals and break rules, animals start to doubt their ideas. So, the overall farm loses energy and this automatically affects the mood. As time flows, the mood gets more and more depressed. The animals start to question themselves more about whether they are doing the right thing, and the mood becomes the most shocking and depressing in the part where the six human and six pig leaders fight. As we read that part, we can easily imagine the animals appalled, looking at their leader pigs fighting with men. It is also easy to imagine the atmosphere. It will feel quite dumb to stand at that moment and watch the fight.

Do you find this novel saddening you in any way? Yes, because of the story. It is not really the mood that saddens me. The story flows, I get sad because of it, and the mood follows the story line so it could illustrate the scene appropriately. As I stated a few times before in other entries, I don’t like the ending of this story. Of course, the work itself is written very well, but the story is not so touching to me. I really expected a happy ending resulted by overcoming all the temptation of corruption, but it didn’t. Napoleon started Animalism, and he was the first to break it. He started cheating over other animals for his own wealth, which is food, and tricked other stupid animals. This made me sad because it showed me the corruption of a very competitive being. I feel worse when I see an intelligent being surrendering against corruption and temptations. Therefore, this novel makes me somewhat sad, but it is not caused by the mood.

2 comments:

sharon kim said...

I think that the moood changes. it is hard to say there is one overall mood.
I agree, the story is sad.
It is sad to see the world is just like the animal farm.

hnas565 said...

I thought the same way of the mood. I liked how you provided an example to depict the mood of the novel, by using in terms of music. I totally agree with you that the mood in the exposition of the story is bright, because everything that is presented (successful rebellion, peace) gave me thoughts of a enthusiastic mood. As you said, as time flows, the mood becomes more depressing. However, didn't you slightly feel that the mood was connected with sarcasm? After Napoleon chases Snowball and becomes leader, i felt like the mood signficantly shifted.
What the coincidence! I disliked the ending as much as you did. I felt a sense of anger when I noticed that the ending wasn't that GREAT as i had expected it to be.. i wanted to see the same results as you, but it happened to be vice versa.