CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday 7 April 2008

Book 2 Entry #2


Q. Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.


My memorable place from this novel is “Earth” before Ender left for the Battle School. Some might think I am just being silly. However, after reading this novel, I have started to appreciate my real life. Although I am living under enough suffering, Ender’s life in Battle School looked quite harsh for me to adapt in.

Before, I have always complained about given situations. In school, Mandarin tests were hard, I could never get an A on my writing assignment, I was the section leaders of clarinets in Band, but many people challenged me and I have lost every single challenge. Besides that, there was too much English homework. At home, my parents were giving me pressure to get the headmaster honor roll for this semester, and my private tutoring teacher was scolding me everyday for not being able to solve the “easy” questions. However, in the story Ender’s Game, Ender goes over a much harder situation. Being about ten years younger than me, he decides to go into a Battle School, which everyone lives in a dormitory, can’t see their family for more than ten years, and can’t even talk about home. To me, Battle School is a kind of frightening place, because I can’t see the clouds in the sky.

Most evaluations in life are done relatively, which means that we compare. When I compared my life to other friends, it was hard. However, when I compared to Ender Wiggin, I have to say no. Comparing to Ender, I was living in paradise, and I recognized that fact when I was reading the book. My hardships and complaints were nothing when I saw Ender. Thus, I have found Ender’s life before Battle School and my Earth, my school, and my home all memorable. I think this novel itself was a meaningful and fruitful experience to me.

0 comments: